Many studies suggest one of the main reasons for the inventory shortage in today’s market of homes for sale is that older generations have chosen to “age in place” over moving.
The 2019 Home Buyers & Sellers Generational Trend Report by NAR clarifies this point!
NAR’s findings show that Baby Boomers (43%) and the Silent Generation (12%) made up 56% of sellers in 2018! This means the majority of sellers last year were over the age of 54. This also shows these generations ARE moving!
The report also shared the reasons why they chose to move. According to the research, the top reason was a desire to be closer to friends and family. Below is a full breakdown:
Once again, the report demonstrated that older generations are not keeping that 3-bedroom, 2-bath colonial home. Instead, they are putting it on the market and moving on with their lives!
If you are living in a house that no longer fits your needs, let’s get together to help you find a home that will!
Latest posts by joespake (see all)
- 5 Reasons to Sell Your House This Summer - June 17, 2019
- Top 4 Renovations for the Greatest Return on Investment! [INFOGRAPHIC] - June 14, 2019
- Time for Your Dream Home, Gen X! - June 13, 2019
- 3 Things to Know in the Housing Market Today! - June 12, 2019
- Renting or Owning, What Is Better for You? - June 11, 2019